Diamonds are a girl's best friend, but so are Pearls, gold, platinum and everything expensive. But only the cost doesn't make your jewellery worth the checks. Here are 21 facts and myths you probably didn't know..
All diamonds are over 3 billion years old, as that is the time it takes the process to create them from pressure.
2. All diamonds turn to graphite over an extremely long period of time.
3. All the gold ever mined in the history of the world can be compressed into an 18-yard cube, roughly 1by10 of the Washington Monument
4. Contrary to common belief, emeralds can be more valuable than diamonds when they are of very high quality.
5. Elizabeth the II, Queen of England, has a jewelry collection that is estimated at about $57 million dollars.
6. Engagement rings were declared as mandate for marriage as far back as 860 A.D by Pope Nicholas I.
7. For each one millions diamonds that are mined, only a single one will become jewelry.
8. However hard a diamond is, it is not strong. You can break any of them with a hammer. If you hit one with a hammer it will shatter.
9. In all the oceans, however, there is an estimated 10 billion tons of gold.
Opals may sometimes be made of up to 30% water
11. Platinum was not used in jewelry until 1896, by Cartier.
12. The famous jewel from the movie Titanic was actually based on an actual rare and large sapphire that was went down with the titanic and never recovered.
13. The largest pearl on record weighed 14 pounds.
14. The most expensive piece of jewelry created for a movie was Nicole Kidman’s necklace in Moulin Rouge. It is expected to sell for $1 million.
15. The real color of gold is yellow and any other color means the gold is not completely pure.
16. The Star of Asia is one of the largest sapphires known in the world, and is currently housed at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.
17. The twelve birthstones came from the twelve tribes of Israel
18. The U.S. is the world’s largest consumer of diamonds
While diamonds are one of the hardest substances in nature, there are many man-made, synthetic nanomterials , synthetic nanomaterials that are much harder.
20. Why are pearls so rare.. Only 1 out of 10,000 oysters will create a pearl.
21. Why is this particular finger the ring finger.. Because people used to believe that finger had a vein the connected straight into the heart. That's pretty darn romantic.