Some known & some unknown facts
1. MOPED is the short term for 'Motorized Pedaling'.
2. POP MUSIC is 'Popular Music' shortened.
3. BUS is the short term for 'Omnibus' that means
4. FORTNIGHT comes from 'Fourteen Nights' (Two Weeks).
5. DRAWING ROOM was actually a 'withdrawing room'
where people withdrew after Dinner.
Later the prefix 'with' was dropped.
6. NEWS refers to information from four directions N, E, W
7. AG-MARK, which some products bear, stems from
8. JOURNAL is a diary that tells about 'Journey for a day' during each
9. QUEUE comes from 'Queen's Quest'. Long back
long row of people as waiting to see the Queen. Someone made the
10. TIPS come from 'To Insure Prompt Service'. In
days to get Prompt
from servants in an inn, travelers used to drop
in a Box on
was written 'To Insure Prompt Service'.
This gave rise to the custom of
11. JEEP is a vehicle with unique Gear system. It was
II (1939-1945). It was named 'General Purpose Vehicle (GP)'.GP
changed into JEEP later.
12. Coca-Cola was originally green.
13. The most common name in the world is Mohammed..
14. The name of all the continents end with the same
that they start
15. The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
16. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using
the letters only on
of the keyboard.
17. Women blink nearly twice as much as men!!
18. You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
19. It is impossible to lick your elbow.
20. People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you
your heart stops for a millisecond.
21. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into
22. The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's
is said to be the
twister in the English
23. If you sneeze too hard, you can
a rib. If you
to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel
your head or neck
24. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a
king from history.
o Spades - King David
o Clubs - Alexander the Great,
o Hearts – Charlemagne
o Diamonds - Julius Caesar.
25. Horse Statue in a Park…
· If a statue of a person in the park on a horse
both front legs in the air, the person
died in battle.
· If the horse has one front leg in the air, the
died as a result of wounds received in battle
· If the horse has all four legs on the ground,
person died of natural causes.
26. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield
wipers and laser
printers all have in
Ans. - All
27. A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
28. A snail can sleep for three years.
29. All polar bears are left-handed.
30. Butterflies taste with their feet.
31. Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.
32. In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been
33. On average, people fear spiders more than they do
34. Shakespeare invented the word 'assassination'
35. Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the
36. The ant always falls over on its right side when
37. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
38. The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps
to the body to
blood 30 feet.
39. Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats
40. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the
bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
41. The cigarette lighter was invented before the
42. Most lipstick contains fish scales.
43. Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is
WITH BEST REGARDS