THE OBSTACLE IN OUR PATH
In ancient times, a king had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the king’s wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it.
Many loudly blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the big stone out of the way. Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. On approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. As the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the boulder had been. The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what many others never understand.
Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve one’s condition.
Its 42nd National Safety Day!!
Here are some safety tips at Home!
What to do in case of fire?
Type of Fire
What to do?
On wood, paper or clothes
Pour water - Cover thick woolen cloth
On oil in a frying pan
Shut out the heat source and cover the pan with a lid
Switch off the main and put sand on the fire
Raise an alarm and run out of the house immediately.
- Do not wait to collect your possessions.
- Never hide inside a bed or in a cupboard.
- If you are in a multi-storied building use the stairs to run down and do not use the lift.
- Call the fire brigade (It is a FREE SERVICE)
Fire Safety in Home and Other Places
Usage of match boxes :
- Strike matches away from the body.
- Keep a lighted match ready before turning the knob of a gas burner.
- Stoves should be placed on a raised platform and not on the ground.
- Connect only one electric plug in a socket.
- Storage shelves should be away from the burner so that you do not have to lean over the flame to fetch the items.
- Never play with children or allow children to play in the kitchen.
- Do not keep a lighted stove or burner near a gas cylinder.
- Always close the regulator when the gas is not used.
- Replace the rubber tubes regularly so that it does not leak.
- Never place the cylinder in a horizontal position. Keep it vertical.
- Good house keeping with proper arrangement of furniture, vessels and kitchen arrangements itself is a good fire safety measure.
In case of a gas leak from the LPG Cylinder:
- Do not take any naked flame or allow a spark if you smell a gas leak.
- Do not operate any electrical switch as the spark it causes may result in an explosion
and a fire.
- Open the door and windows and allow the gas to escape (LPG is heavier than air and so it tends to settle down on the ground or floor level)
- If it is possible try to remove the leaking cylinder to a safe and open place so that the gas goes out and escapes.
Every year many people suffer from bathroom accidents. It can be a minor fall or can prove to be quite fatal. Bathroom is one of the most often used places at home. It is therefore, essential to keep the bathroom safe, especially for the elderly and children.
The area of the shower or bath is the most slippery. This one of the common places where people who can slip and fall. Consider putting padding or a rubber mat which can provide enough grip for the feet that prevents your family from slipping. You may also put a bath rug next to the shower that can let people wipe the feet. If you are building a new home, consider using textured tiles for the bathroom, which can be of great benefit.
Ensure that most attachments such as towel, toiletry racks are secured strongly on the wall. It should be firm enough to provide enough support for people to hold in case they use it as a support to prevent a fall.
Water and Electricity are not great pals. Keep electrical gadgets and appliances away from the sink, bathtub or shower. Never keep anything plugged in, since there is always a danger of water coming in contact with electricity. Make sure the outlets in the bathroom are grounded which will prevent an electrical shock.
Do not keep sharp edged furniture in the bathroom. In case of a fall, you do not want people to get hurt further by falling on such furniture.
You can also consider attaching handles or grab bars on the walls, which can prevent slippery accidents in the bathroom. This is useful especially for seniors at home.
Look for the growth of mold on the bathroom walls, around the sink and the toilet, where the presence of water is inevitable. Clean the bathroom regularly and always keep the room dry and ventilated.
Do not leave soap residue or scum on the floor, which can make the floor slippery. Scrub them well with a brush followed by cleaning with water.
Let the bathroom door be left open in case seniors or children have a fall and they need to call out for help.
Exhaust fan is one of the essentials in a bathroom. It prevents the buildup of moisture and lets circulation of air.
Life doesn't have a reset button. Be safe.