Best content manually curated.
Indian Railway Budget 2012-13.
karma level 770
Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi presented his maiden railway budget for 2012-13 on Wednesday amid concerns over the financial health of the world's second largest network.
Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi presented his maiden railway budget for 2012-13 on Wednesday before the Parliament.
- Setting up of Railway Tariff Regulatory Authority to be considered
- Passenger fares increased by 2 paise per km for suburban and ordinary second class; 3 paise per km for mail/express second class; 5 paise per km for sleeper class; 10 paise per km for AC Chair Car, AC 3 tier and First Class; 15 paise per km for AC 2 tier and 30 paise per km for AC I.
- Fares to be rounded off to the next nearest five rupees.
- Minimum fare and platform tickets to cost Rs 5.
- Fuel Adjustment Component (FAC) in fares contemplated.
Value of concession granted to travelers is more than Rs 800 cr per year. 50% concession in fare in AC-2, AC-3, Chair Car & Sleeper classes to patients suffering from â€˜Aplastic Anaemiaâ€™ and â€˜Sickle Cell Anaemiaâ€™. Extending the facility of travel by Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains to Arjuna Awardees.
Travel distance under â€˜Izzat Schemeâ€™ to increase from 100 kms to 150 kms.
National and Suburban Trains
- 75 new Express trains to be introduced.
- 21 new passenger services, 9 DEMU services and 8 MEMU services to be introduced.
- Run of 39 trains to be extended.
- Frequency of 23 trains to be increased.
- 75 additional services to run in Mumbai suburban.
- 18 additional services to be run in Chennai area.
- 44 new suburban services to be introduced in Kolkata area.
- 50 new services to be introduced in Kolkata Metro in 2012-13.
- Setting up of a Railway Safety Authority as a statutory regulatory body as recommended by Kakodkar Committee;
- Creating Missions as recommended by Pitroda Committee to implement the modernization programme
- Aligning the Annual Plan investment with five focus areas identified by Kakodkar and Pitroda Committees i.e. (a) Track (b) Bridges (c) Signalling & Telecommunication (d) Rolling Stock and (e) Stations & Freight Terminals.
- New Board Member (Safety/Research) to be inducted.
- Rail-Road Grade Separation Corporation to be set up to eliminate level crossings.
- Plan allocation to priority works so as to reap benefits after completion in a time bound manner
Three â€˜Safety Villagesâ€™ to be set up at Bengaluru, Kharagpur and Lucknow for skill development for disaster management
- Indian Railway Station Development Corporation to be set up to redevelop stations through PPP mode;
- Logistics Corporation to be set up for development & management of existing railway goods sheds and multi-modal logistics parks.
- Private investment schemes for Wagon leasing, Sidings, Private Freight Terminals, Container train operations, Rail connectivity projects (R3i and R2C-i) being made more attractive to PPP partners.
- New Board Member (PPP/Marketing) to be inducted
- Works announced for Kolkata Metro last year progressing satisfactorily and some projects being extended to cover new sections.
- SPV with Andhra Pradesh Government to be set up for commercial management of the MMTS.
- MRVC to carry out feasibility study for construction of faster corridors on CSTM â€“ Panvel and Virar-Vasai-Diva-Panvel sections.
- Work to be taken up facilitating running of 12-car rakes on Harbour line.
- Financial modeling of the elevated rail corridor from Churchgate to Virar firmed up with Government of Maharashtra through PPP mode.
- A pre-feasibility survey for a similar corridor between CST and Kalyan proposed.
- A National High Speed Rail Authority to be set up.
- Pre-feasibility studies on six high speed corridors already completed; study on Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Jodhpur to be taken up in 2012-13.
Cooperation with State Governments
- MoU signed with Government of Chhatisgarh to develop three rail corridors in state for movement of passenger and freight.
- 31 projects covering a length of more than 5000 km in 10 states being executed with contribution from state governments.
- Four projects on cost sharing basis with Governments of Haryana, Andhra Pradesh & West Bengal proposed.
- 12 projects on cost sharing basis with Government of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Rajasthan & Maharashtra sent to Planning Commission for approval.
- 7 projects to facilitate the first and list mile connectivity proactively sanctioned and another 28 projects identified.
Connectivity to neighbouring countries
Â Â - Construction of Jogbani-Biratnagar and Jaynagar-Bijalpura-Bardibas new lines already in progress to provide connectivity to Nepal.
Â Â Â - Project to connect Agartala with Akhaura in Bangladesh to be taken up in 2012-13.
Rail Based Industries
- Rail Wheel Plan at Chhapra produced 78 wheels during 2011-12; the plant would be fully commissioned in 2012-13.
- Rae Bareli coach factory manufactured 10 coaches in 2011-12; phase-II of the factory would be commissioned in 2012-13.
- Diesel Component Factory at Dankuni has commenced trial production and would be fully commissioned in 2012-13.
- Wagon Manufacturing Factory at Kulti and fiat bogey frame unit at Budge Budge to commence production in 2012-13.
- A wagon factory to be set up at Sitapali (Ganjam District of Odisha).
- A rail coach factory with the support of Government of Kerala to be set up at Palakkad; two additional new manufacturing units for coaches to be established in the Kutch area in Gujarat and at Kolar in Karnataka with active participation of the State Governments.
- A plant for manufacture of traction alternators for high horse power diesel locomotives to be set up at Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh.
- Setting up of a factory at Shyamnagar in West Bengal to manufacture next generation technology propulsion system for use in high power electric locomotives.
- Augmenting the electric loco Ancillaries Unit of CLW at Dankuni for fabrication of locomotive shells and assembly of three phase locomotives for manufacturing of new generation 9000 HP locomotives.
- Sick wagon unit â€˜Braithwaiteâ€™ taken over by Railways has been conferred with Turn Around Award by the Board of Reconstruction of Public Sector Enterprise.
- Setting up of 72 MW capacity windmill plants in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
- Setting up of 200 remote railway stations as â€˜green energy stationsâ€™ powered entirely by solar energy.
- Providing solar lighting system at 1000 manned level crossing gates.
- Introduction of mobile emission test cars to measure pollution level of diesel locomotives.
- Commissioning of two bio diesel plants at Raipur and Tondiarpet.
- Introduction of a â€˜Green Trainâ€™ to run through the pristine forests of North Bengal.
- 2500 coaches to be equipped with bio toilets.
Passenger/Rail Usersâ€™ Amenities
- Installation of 321 escalators at important stations of which 50 will be commissioned in 2012-13.
- 12 State of art mechanized laundries already set up and 6 more to become functional during 2012-13.
- SMS on passenger mobile phone in case of e-ticket to be accepted as proof of valid reservation.
- Introduction of regional cuisine at affordable rates; launching of Book-ameal scheme to provide multiple choice of meals through SMS or email.
- Setting up of AC Executive lounges at important stations.
- Setting up of new Rail Neer Plants at Palur in Tamil Nadu and Ambernath in Maharashtra.
- Expansion of housekeeping schemes for trains.
- Introduction of Rail Bandhu on-board magazines on Rajdhanis, Shatabdis and Duronto trains.
- Introduction of coin/currency operated ticket vending machines.
- Introduction of Alternate Train Accommodation System to accommodate waitlisted passengers on alternate trains.
- Introduction of model rake with world class interiors.
- Upgradation of 929 stations as Adarsh Stations including 84 stations proposed in 2012-13; 490 stations have been completed so far.
- Construction of multi-functional complexes at 24 locations completed.
- Sale of PRS tickets through 151 post offices
Passenger/Rail Usersâ€™ Amenities
- Implementation of electronic transmission of RR for freight traffic.
- Introduction of satellite based real time train information system (SIMRAN) to provide train running information to passengers through SMS, internet, etc.
- On board passenger displays indicating next halt station and expected arrival time to be introduced.
- Specially designed coaches for differently-abled persons to be provided in each Mail/Express trains.
- Engaging reputed professional agencies for pantry cars and base kitchens.
- Specialised House-keeping body to be set up for cleanliness of stations and the trains.
- Dedicated Railway Design Centre to be set up in the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
- Survey and feasiblity study for new coaching terminals at Nemam, Kottayam, Mau and Dankuni to be taken up.
- Pre-feasibility study for development of Roypuram station in Tamil Nadu for which many representations have been received.
- New coaching complex at Panvel and coach maintenance complex at Kalamboli in partnership with Government of Maharashtra through CIDCO planned.
- New coaching terminal at Naihati, the birth place of Rishi Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay commemorating him on 175th Birth Anniversary.
Annual Plan 2012-13
- Highest ever plan outlay of Rs60,100 cr.
- Gross Budgetary Support - Rs24,000 cr.
- Railway Safety Fund - Rs2,000 cr.
- Internal Resources - Rs18,050 cr.
- Market Borrowing - Rs15,000 cr; PPP - Rs1,050 cr.
- 725 km new lines, 700 km doubling, 800 km gauge conversion and 1100 km electrification targeted in 2012-13.
- Rs6,872 cr provided for new lines, Rs3,393 cr for doubling, Rs1,950 cr for gauge conversion, Rs828 cr for electrification
Financial Performance 2011-12
- Loading target reduced by 23 MT to 970 MT.
- Gross Traffic Receipts fixed at Rs1,03,917 cr in RE, short by Rs2,322 cr over Budget Estimates.
- Ordinary Working Expenses fixed at Rs75,650 cr, an increase of Rs2,000 cr over Budget Estimates; Pension payments also up by Rs1,000 cr.
- Current dividend liability to be fully discharged.
- Excess of Rs1,492 cr as against the budget amount of Rs5,258 cr.
- A loan of Rs3,000 cr extended by MoF to meet requirement of safety related works under Development Fund.
- Operating Ratio of 95.0% as compared to 91.1% in Budget Estimates.
Budget Estimates 2012-13
- Freight loading of 1025 MT, 55 MT more than 2011-12. /p>
- Passenger growth - 5.4%.
- Gross Traffic Receipts - Rs1,32,552 cr i.e. 27.6% increase over RE, 2011- 12
- Ordinary Working Expenses - Rs84,400 cr.
- Appropriation to DRF at Rs9,500 cr and to Pension Fund at Rs18,500 cr.
- Dividend payment estimated at Rs6,676 cr.
- oan of Rs3,000 cr taken in 2011-12 to be fully repaid along with interest.
- Operating Ratio estimated at 84.9%
Â Â Â - Installation of Integrated Security System at all 202 identified stations to be completed in 2012-13.
Â Â Â - Escorting of trains by RPF/GRP extended to 3500 trains.
Â Â Â - Integration of RPF helpline with the All India Passenger Helpline.
Â Â Â - Introduction of a wellness programme for railway staff at their work places.
Â Â Â - Ensuring proper rest for skilled and technical staff including the running crew.
Â Â Â - NID to design appropriate outfits for various categories of workforce.
Training and Recruitment
Â Â Â - Over 80000 persons recruited in 2011-12;
Â Â Â - Over one lakh persons to be recruited in 2012-13 - backlog of SC/ST/OBC and other categories to be wiped off.
Â Â Â Sports
- 7 Railway sportsperson honored with Arjuna Award and Major Dhyanchand Award in 2011-12.
- 5 Railway sportsperson qualified for Olympics 2012.
ï‚§ Development of a roadmap for railway sports.
- Institution of â€˜Rail Khel Ratnaâ€™ Award for 10 rail sports-persons every year.
The Railway Budget's Focus and Long Term Goals
1. Safety; 2. Consolidation; 3. Decongestion & Capacity Augmentation; 4. Modernisation; 5. Improve Operating Ratio from 95% to 74% in terminal year of 12th Five Year Plan.
Information Source: Indian Railways Website, Government of India
What are your views on the railway budget?
5 Most Beautiful Royal Princesses in Indian History.
on Apr/19,2015 ( diamond user)
10 chilling facts to thank Indian Army at Siachen.
on Jul/21,2015 ( diamond user)
Carefree Indian women.
on Feb/23,2012 ( diamond user)
Admin on Feb/17,2007
Save the Indian Rupee
on Oct/01,2012 ( diamond user)
Here is your 1 Lakh Rs. Budget Car -TATA Indiva
Admin on Apr/12,2007
Good Indian Wife
on Oct/11,2012 ( platinum user)
Reality of Indian Education System.
on Oct/11,2012 ( platinum user)
Top 10 Ancient Indian Inventions
on Oct/22,2012 ( diamond user)
Indian Vintage cigarette ads.
on Dec/19,2012 ( diamond user)
Indian Rail Budget 2013.
on Feb/27,2013 ( diamond user)
Facts about Indian Army.
on Sep/12,2014 ( diamond user)
South Indian Food Festival.
on Dec/04,2013 ( diamond user)
Pictures of South Indian Actress Trisha
Admin on Jul/01,2008
Ancient Indian Paintings.
on Jul/01,2013 ( diamond user)
Wonderful Indian Ads
Admin on Feb/18,2007
Indian Railway Complaint register SMS System - 8121281212.
on Sep/12,2014 ( diamond user)
70, 00,000 Crores Indian Rupees in Swiss Bank
on Aug/02,2009 ( diamond user)
Indian actresses, then and now.
on Jul/21,2011 ( diamond user)
Best of amul recent ads !!
Mercedes benz f-cell roadster
Hey world, did you hear me
The corporate world.
Superb definitions with figures!!!!
Wooden bridges photos
Best photos from reuters
Deccan chronicle cartoons
The boat made entirely out of ch...
Share this with friends
Friends Email: (Atleast 1)
Subscribe for more Fun
Receive best posts in your inbox.
Add Your Comments
comments powered by Disqus.
comments powered by
Earn cash with Binscorner
Click to find out how
User generated content. Copyright respective owners wherever applicable. Contact - admin at binscorner