1) A fork of lightning lights up the night sky as it hits the spire of St Nicholas Chapel in Ilfracombe, Devon
2) Sixteen firefighters rescue a bull which slid down a steep bank at the Gomanena mine site on Caradon Hill near Crow's Nest village, Cornwall.
3) Night vision goggles are displayed at the Defence and Security Exhibition at the ExCel Centre in London
4) Alex Tyrrell captured these alien-like fluorescent underwater creatures by using special underwater photographic equipment. The bright green, red and yellow colours are enhanced with UV and blue-filtered light, highlighting the fluorescence in the Lisa's Mantis Shrimp, photographed near the Phillipines and Thailand.
5) A traffic sign in New Delhi, altered by the addition of a word in protest against recent cases of rape in the city.
6) A lion stuck in a tree gets a bit of help from his elder brother. The lion in the tree had climbed into the tree in search of some shade but was forced to yelp for help when he found himself unable to get down. Luckily his big brother was on hand to help. The two lions, named Echo and Etosha, are residents of Antelope Park in Zimbabwe.
Benny Iskander took this picture of a smiling fruit bat on a visit to Singapore Zoo. 'I went to the fragile forest inside the zoo and I found this massive bat looking at me with a strange expression,' said Benny. 'I managed to get there at the perfect time, just as they were due a feed.'Most of the bats went to a certain place on the branch really close to the visitors, almost as if they wanted us all to see them closely as they ate.