|karma level 23378|
· Raises blood sugar levels : Whole grain bread can spike blood sugar levels more than a candy bar! This is because while making whole grain bread, flour is formed by breaking down the grains into a small refined powder. This is absorbed quickly by the body causing blood sugar to rise rapidly.
· Loaded with gluten : A large percentage of people are sensitive to gluten, the main protein found in wheat and hence bread. In these cases, gluten can damage the intestinal lining and cause symptoms like pain, anemia, bloating, stool inconsistency, stomach upset, tiredness and sluggishness.
· Poor nutrition : Bread in general is just a poor source of nutrients when compared to fresh vegetables, fruit, eggs, meat and fish.
· Prevents nutrients from being absorbed by body : A substance in wheat called phytic acid can bind minerals like calcium, zinc, iron and magnesium and prevent them from being absorbed. Whole wheat contains even more phytic acid than refined wheat! In gluten sensitive individuals, the digestive lining can become damaged, reducing the absorption of all nutrients.
· Can cause Vitamin D deficiency : Research shows that wheat fibre can make people burn through their Vitamin D stores 30% faster.
· Raises bad Cholesterol : Bread leads to elevated levels of small, dense LDL (bad) cholesterol which is associated with an increased risk of heart disease.
· Wheat may be addictive : When gluten proteins are broken down in a test tube the peptides they form are able to stimulate opioid receptors - receptors in the brain that are stimulated by drugs like heroin and morphine.
· Contains too much salt : Most bread varieties, especially the processed kind that you buy from the supermarket, contain lots of salt.
· Makes you gain weight : The carbohydrates, salt, sugar (or high fructose corn syrup) and preservatives in bread can make you put on weight. Moreover, since bread lacks certain nutrients, you might not feel satiated.
Receive best posts in your inbox.